"Dr. David Omotoso Stovall is a professor of Educational Policy Studies and African-American Studies at University of Illinois at Chicago. His research interests include critical race theory, school-community relationships, youth culture and the relationship between housing and K-12 school systems.
During this Public Newsroom Dr. Stovall will pose the following question: does the city engineer conflict? Stovall will use the following to answer the question:
1. The city's demolition of 70 percent of its public housing since 1995
2. The 1999 Gang Terrorism Ordinance that was found unconstitutional by the U.S. Supreme Court
3. The 2013 closure of 49 Chicago Public Schools
Questions we would like the audience to consider and respond to during the event:
1. What does a city do to make certain residents feel disposable?
2. What does a neighborhood of disposable residents look like?
3. What does a school of disposable students look like?"